Pinterest has an in-built feature to download images, but weirdly enough doesn’t let you directly download videos or GIF’s directly.
Fortunately, there are plenty of easy-to-use online tools that can download these live wallpapers, GIFs and videos with just 2-3 clicks, on either PC, Mac, Android or iPhone.
Copy the Pin’s link
To download your desired media file, you first need to copy the link of the Pin and paste it into a downloading tool so it can save your video.
On Android and iPhone you need to open a Pin -> Tap the three “…” on the top -> Copy Link.
Now you just need to paste the link into any of the sites below.
It should look something like this: https://pin.it/41rbhzA
Note: The sites below are entirely free and safe to use (we tested them), but they do have lots of pop-up ads as a monetization system.
They will work and download your media file, but you will probably have to click “Close” on a lot ads, unless you use an ad blocker.
Download Pinterest live wallpapers on Android
- Go to any one of these sites:
- https://www.savethevideo.com/ (recommended and easiest to use)
- Paste the Pin link in the search box and press Start or Download. Unless you have an ad blocker, you will have to close a lot of ads.
- Scroll down and select what format and resolution you want to download the video in.
- Press Download MP4 and you will be taken to a separate media window. To download the video, click on the “…” in the bottom right corner and press “Download”.
- To see if the video was successfully downloaded, open the Files app and go to the Downloads folder.
Set the video as a live wallpaper
On Android phones, you will need to use a completely free app to set a video as a live wallpaper. This is because Android doesn’t support this feature natively.
- Download “Wallpaper Engine”.
- Open Wallpaper Engine and press “Add” in the bottom right corner.
- Press Import File.
- Go to “Downloads” and press the video you downloaded from Pinterest.
- Press the “Tick” mark in the top right corner.
- Press Set wallpaper and select both “Home screen and lock screen”.
Photo guide to set a Pinterest video as live wallpaper
And that’s it. You’ve now setup your live wallpaper for Android.
Can you have live wallpapers on iPhone or iPad?
Unfortunately, iOS devices such as iPhones or iPads stopped supporting live wallpapers after the release of iOS 16 in September 2022.
Before iOS 16 you had a feature that allowed you to turn any video into a “Live photo”. You could then use that live photo to customize the lock screen of the device.
Note however that even pre-iOS 16 you could still only customize the lock screen with a Live photo. Home screens were still limited to dynamic or static photos.